Friday, December 04, 2009

Traditions, the Spirit of Giving & other stuff....


It always seems like I struggle this time of year to focus on the true meaning of Christmas instead of the money aspect of Christmas. Why is this so hard to do? Jeff and I want Davis to know the true meaning of Christmas and not just focus on the "material side" of Christmas. He's young enough yet where he doesn't get any of it..ha :)! But we figure it's never to early to start teaching him that Jesus is the Reason for the Christmas Season.


I set up a very precious Nativity that was my Grandma and Grandpa Gimbel's. Davis is fascinated with it :)! He points to the animals and says "baby" when he points to Jesus. It warms my heart that he's so fascinated by it. My parents also bought him the Little Peoples Nativity so he can actually play with it (don't tell Davis about this yet because he hasn't gotten it yet..Grandma Julie is bringing it this weekend)! I seek this as a perfect opportunity to teach Davis the story of Jesus' birth.


I want to start some family traditions in the next few years with Davis too. I hope to be able to get him an Advent calendar each year so we can do a countdown to Christmas. We always had those growing up and looked forward to opening a new "day" up until Christmas. I want to read the story of Jesus' birth on Christmas morning and maybe make a birthday cake for Jesus every year. I don't want to focus strictly on Santa...don't get me wrong we'll still be doing that too but I don't want that to be the main focus.


I love watching Davis be so fascinated with the Christmas lights, the Christmas tree and SNOW. Seeing Christmas through the eyes of my child is a shear delight :)! It takes me back to my younger days and the anticipation of Christmas. I think we lose that as we age...until you have a child. Now I feel like I'm experiencing it all again. I'm also looking forward to taking our family to the Christmas Eve Candle Light service. I have such fond memories of those from my youth and can't wait for Davis to experience the same thing :)!


Another thing we hope to teach Davis the spirit of giving. Each year I bake bread for an elderly neighbor guy. I don't expect anything from him...I just want him to enjoy something homemade for Christmas. I've been doing this since Jeff and I got married and it warms my heart. Our neighbor guy appreciates it too and often gets kinda teary when we deliver it. I hope as Davis gets older he'll enjoy giving to those less fortunate. I can't wait to help him pick out a present for someone off the angel tree :)! I hope we can instill in him the Spirit of Giving. That it's more important to give then to receive :)!


Oh and I'm sure when he's a little bit older he'll be a great help to me in the kitchen when I'm doing all my holiday baking. I can't wait until we can frost and decorate cookies together. I remember my younger years sitting at the kitchen table as my dad and mom baked cut-out sugar cookies for us to decorate. I can't wait to watch and help Davis do that. Maybe we'll even have to try our hand at making Candy-cane cookies (of course they will NEVER be like my Dad's). Maybe Grandpa Randy will have to come give us a demonstration on how to make them like he always did :)!!


Ok so I'll get off my soap box now. I just wanted to share some of the things my family is planning on doing to instill the true meaning of Christmas in all of us :)!


Onto other things....We are doing well. Had 3 wonderful Thanksgivings. Ate way too much and sure had a great time seeing all those we haven't seen in a long time! Davis loved playing with all the kids and running around. Boy did he sleep good those nights we had our Thanksgivings :)!


It snowed some yesterday and Davis LOVES SNOW. He kept saying "Snow, Snow, Snow" over and over. He was mad that I wouldn't let him play in it before we left for Daycare. I did let him walk around in it and touch it when we left Daycare that afternoon. He loved feeling it and was again super mad at me for putting him in the van. A little birdy told me he's getting a sled for Christmas so I'm sure we'll be out a lot this winter. Mommy better get some winter gear!! Ha!


Jeff and I are busy with parenting Davis, work and maintaining our household. Good times :)! We decorated for Christmas last weekend and had a great time. Jeff put lights up outside too and they sure are pretty. The snow adds an extra special touch too..BEAUTIFUL :)!!


Well that's it for now. God's Blessings to you all.

3 comments:

Just Mom said...

You're teaching him well. :-D


btw ... JS is 6 1/2 now, but still plays with the Little People nativity set that was given to by his grandparents when he was two.

Jennie Thompson said...

Great post - love the tree!

Jen said...

Your tree is beautiful!!! Have a Merry Christmas! I too struggle with focusing on the money side but yet we still teach our children the real reason for the season. You are doing a good job.