Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Ok..Time for an Update!

Seems like forever since I last posted! Summer time is kind of like that though. There is always something going on and it's hard to sit at the computer and post something when there is so much to do outside or around the house. I promise when the weather gets cold again you'll get daily posts from me :)...even if nothing is going on in our lives..he he!!

Jeff had a tractor pull on Saturday. He had one Friday night too but we didn't make it to that one because he couldn't get off work early. So we just vegged out at home on Friday night (which was nice). On Saturday, Jake went to the "Doggie Hotel" and we took off for the tractor pull and then spent the night in Inwood. Jeff did great at the pull again. He got a 3rd place in the 8500lb. class and a 7th or 8th in the 9500lb. class. It was HOT out there! Good thing there was a breeze or we all would have roasted! Once the sun went down it was much nicer out there :)!! We got done with the pull at around 11 and back to Inwood around midnight. It was nice not having to drive home and we got to sleep in some on Sunday morning before church! We did the family thing on Sunday and got back to our house at around 6:30 that night.

Jake had fun at the "Doggie Hotel"...well I think he did anyway. They haven't kicked him out of there yet so he must be behaving himself! Yesterday it was SUPER HOT outside so I got out our little plastic kiddy pool (we bought it for the ducks last year but they hated it so we just put it up in the garage for future use). Anyway I wanted to see what Jake thought of this pool. So I rinsed it out and filled it with about 2 inches of water. Jake thought this was great...a GIANT DRINKING BOWL!!! Every dogs dream! But he decided that while he was drinking he would hop on in the pool. So there he stands with all fours in the pool drinking away! I wish I would have had the camera out (I know I should just carry it around with me wherever I go). Jake actually sat in the pool for just a few seconds but decided he didn't like that. However he started drinking the water again and then he started scratching the sides of the pool like he was trying to splash the water. He also likes to blow bubbles with this nose so he was doing that too. VERY FUNNY!!! What can I say...I'm so very easily amused :)!! Might have to get the pool out for a bit again today to see if he'll actually lay down in it (which he probably won't). I'll make sure I have the camera ready though...he he!

Jeff has a tractor pull tonight. It'll be a late night tonight! I'll let you all know how he does in the next few days. It might be a hot one out there tonight if the sun peaks outta the clouds. Oh well...that's the joy of summer time :)!

The garden is still growing like crazy. This past weekend I canned 8 pints of carrots and 4 more quarts of green beans. I need to get out there and pick green beans again because I have a feeling there is a TON of them out there. Our potatoes are ready so we are digging all those up this week sometime and I'll can the smaller ones and we'll store the larger ones for eating later on. The sweetcorn is almost ready. We tried some on Saturday (YUMMY) and it wasn't quite ripe enough but it was still really really good! I have a feeling that'll be next weeks project! That'll keep us busy for awhile (we have 24 rows of sweetcorn). Our tomatoes are still green but I have a feeling they will start turning pretty soon. They always turn at the same time so you have about a 1000 tomatoes (not that I'm complaining). I CAN'T WAIT!! I plan to can a bunch of tomatoes this year too. Maybe I'll get crazy and make some salsa, ketchup, and spaghetti sauce...who knows :)!

So I guess that's life in a nutshell. I'll post some pictures one of these years...I PROMISE :)!! We hope everyone has a great Tuesday! God's Blessings to everyone!!

9 comments:

Tracy said...

Our lab used to LOVE playing in her swimming pool. We still have it but not sure why we haven't gotten it out for her this year. Poor thing...she probably wishes she could get some relief from this heat since it's been so hot.

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Busy, busy, busy....that pretty much sums up your life! I don't know how you do it all. My garden is such a mess right now, I haven't had much time to weed it. I did have 1 ripe tomatoe! The squash are pretty much taking over the whole thing...I really need to find a different place for them! The sweet corn sounds great...I haven't even checked ours.

Jamie said...

Our neighbor has a pool for their dog. I haven't seen him in yet!

Stay cool at your tractor pulls...that is hard to do when it is so humid!!

Jamey said...

That is hilarious about your dog!! I would have loved to see a picture! Our little dachsund got into our pool in our backyard once and couldn't get out. It was 3 feet deep and way over his head. Thank goodness we saw him right away, with their short little legs I don't think they are very good swimmers! He hasn't done it since! Your garden sounds yummy!!

A mom said...

Good Job Jeff! Erin, I bet you have a great tan from sitting at those tractor pulls all the time. Even if it is a farmer's tan.

I am curious how on earth you can eat all of this food from your garden? And, do you need help? Yummmmmm!

Anonymous said...

Always love hearing your updates. It always makes me smile. I felt like I was watching your dog..too fun!

Stay cool...sounds HOT your way.

Lori said...

Wow! Sounds like your garden is doing great. I agree with Miah watcha gonna do with all that produce? hehe
I bet you either can or freeze most of it. Do you freeze your corn too. Let me know if you have extra corn. I'll buy some from you. We didn't plant corn.
My parents planted but theres isn't doing well. They didn't get any rain.

I bet your dog had a fun time splashing around in the pool. hehe

Jennifer said...

it sounds like you have been really busy :o) with lots of fun!

the image you described of your dog blowing bubbles in the pool with his nose gave me a giggle ~ that's too funny!

my grandparents just gave me bushels of fresh veges so I'll be spending the rest of the afternoon freezing and canning ~ I'm so excited to have fresh veges for the winter!

hope you have a wonderful weekend, and thanks for your kind words and prayers you left for my brother and sister-in-law!

Lori said...

Have a great weekend Erin!!!