If you would have told me 10 years ago that I would be living in the country I would have told you that you were crazy! After growing up in small town U.S.A. (population 2,000) I had the desire to head to the "big" city. I had no desire to remain in small town U.S.A. after living there for 22 years. After my dad decided to take a church (yes he's a pastor) in a town 400 miles away from small town U.S.A. I had to make a decision. Ultimately that decision lead me to the "big" city.
Boy was I in for a shock of a life time. Sure I had come to the "big" city to go shopping and work but I have never lived there. The cost of living there was so much higher then small town U.S.A. So like any sane person, I found a roommate. Her (she will remain nameless) and I went to high school together and we thought this would be the perfect living situation. So the looking began. We found a very wonderful 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment (and yes it was close to the mall) that we signed a 6 month lease for. We moved into this apartment in either July or August (I don't remember the exact month). Let's just say that not even 3 months later I was looking for a new place to live. I couldn't live with this person any longer (she was a slob, I was a neat freak, etc., etc., etc.)!
I found a place on my own in a much different part of town but you know what it worked. I started to long for the days of small town living after living there in the big city for a few months. What normally took me 5 minutes to get to in small town U.S.A. now took me 30 minutes to get to in the big city. I hated that! The traffic was awful and there were so many more people. After a year I had had enough. I began looking into going to college. My brother, along with my parents encouraged me to looking into the college my brother was going to. I did that and knew that was the college I would get my degree from (after going to 5 other schools..I know :)!!!)
I moved up to Madison in 2002 and haven't looked back. It's bigger then small town U.S.A. where I grew up but still has that small town feel. I lived in a tiny apartment when I first moved here but I was happy because I wasn't in the big city anymore. I met the man of my dreams after living here for a year! I am so very blessed that God guided me to Madison and guided me to Jeff!
Jeff already had a house when we started to date. He had just purchased it the same summer I moved up to Madison (before we even met)! After I started hanging out at his place I got the "country bug"! I didn't want to go back to town where everyone else was. I wanted to stay out there, enjoying sunsets and quiet!! So of course after we got married I moved on out there and haven't looked back! We love it out at our house. There is nothing better then getting home after a tough day at work and being able to just sit outside on our porch and hear....nothing. You don't have to deal with anything...just the blowing of the breeze and maybe the occasional barking dog (yup that would be Jake) or quacking duck. It's WONDERFUL!
So here I always thought I would be a big city girl. Nope I'm country through and through :)!!
God's Blessings to everyone this fine Thursday! I'll check in next week...we got a busy rest of the week and weekend ahead of us! We'll be going all over the place so please pray for safe travels for us and our families :)...thanks!
8 comments:
I have never lived in a town but I can tell you I don't think I would like it either. I love it here in the country, watching the sunsets or sunrises from the deck, smelling the fresh cut alfalfa (and occasional smelling the livestock), the smell of a summer rain...and running around the house (or yard) naked and not having to worry about anybody seeing me (or us).
I am so glad that you found your way to Jeff and the country and HAPPINESS!
Both Al and I grew up on farms. However we like living in town now. It is so handy for our jobs, and errands and whatnot.
Don't get me wrong...I still love the country too.
I am not 100% sure where you live, but I have an idea. That would be the perfect distance from town. Not to far to drive in for a gallon of milk, but far enough away from all the ruckas. I know I would never last in the big city. I don't even like to have to go there to shop!
Have a super weekend Erin !!
I have lived in the country and it is fun. I didn't like traveling on the gravel road having to get to my house but I liked all it had to offer. I enjoy living in town though too. Either way...
Have a great weekend!!!
oh I loved reading about your life... :o)
It amazes me how I never pegged myself as a home-body, yet I got homesick when I went to college (although it was only 15 minutes away from my house), and now that we live an hour from family, one of my biggest desires is to move closer to them. Isn't it funny how we have our own ideas of what will make us happy and content, yet God is the only one who 'really' knows.
Hope you have a great weekend Erin!
I am a small town city girl. I have no desire to live in a big, fast pace city. NO THANKS!!
I think country living would be great for the peacefullness. I am a non gravel driver so that is my one draw back.
Take care and have a nice weekend!
Great post! I couldn't agree more! Small town over big city anyday! I would love to live in the country, but I am not so sure about all the work it takes to live out there!
What a cool post, I loved it!! I grew up in Watertown, not exactly the country, but not the city that I live in now. In Colorado it's not even really considered a city. It's small for Colorado. We have been contmeplating moving back to SD for a couple of years. Jay thought this vacation would cure me and I would be ready to come back to Colorado and forget about moving. But it did the opposite. Even the mountains that I LOVE so much here didn't have the same effect on me as they usually do. I loved the plains and all the fields while driving around SD while we were there. I think it was on my way to and from Madison last week that I thought, YUP, we need to move home. It would be so much better for the kids too. So we will get our landscaping done and fix a few things inside and put the house on the market. The kids want so badly to live closer to family and I guess it's time!!!
Post a Comment