Jeff and I both took off from work on Friday to head down to the Spencer, Iowa fair (Clay County Fair). We were up running around already at 5:45 a.m. so we could leave the house by 6:30 a.m. I don't think we have ever gotten up that early but it was well worth it :)! We got to Inwood around 8:00 a.m. and took off for Spencer from there. We still had another 1.5 hours to drive (on top of our 1.5 hours we had just driven). We got to the fair at around 9:30 a.m. and it was super chilly out that morning! We all had sweatshirts and jackets on! The wind was what was cold but once you go into the fair it was much better. It wasn't really that busy when we got there which is always a plus!! We decided to hit the buildings first. In the buildings there are booths of all sorts set up..anything from hot tub booths to seed corn booths. It was nice and warm inside..he he :)!! We also looked at all the fair exhibits (garden produce). It was interesting to see some of the things people grew in their own gardens. I couldn't believe how large some of that produce was! We also walked through the swine, cattle, and sheep buildings. That was kinda stinky but kinda neat to see the animals up close. I don't think I've ever seen a cow "up close" before...I always see them just grazing out in the fields...they are a lot bigger then I thought they would be!
We also walked through the displays of 5th wheel campers they had and some modular houses. Those houses were awesome!! We went into one that had a master bath "suite" and this bathroom was bigger then the master bath! There was a Jacuzzi tube, a fire place, a place for a large TV, double sinks and a toilet in it's own little room in this bathroom! I don't think I would ever leave the bathroom if I had one like that!! I love looking at the kitchens too. We decided that would be the way to do it if you ever lost your house in a fire or to a tornado. They are already built and you just lay it on your foundation. It's as simple as that :)! The campers were neat to look at too. I can't believe how fancy some of those can get too...and they are super expensive too! That would almost have to be your house for that price...he he!!
And of course no fair would be complete without stuffing your face with some wonderful (and not so healthy) fair food! We ate at a little cafe thing they had set up in there run by the Kiwanis Club. That was some good food! Then in the afternoon we had mini donuts. Before we left we all had one more snack. Jeff had a foot long corn dog and I had a Minnesota Mud Pie. It was delicious! Basically all mine was was a chocolate funnel cake drizzled with carmel and chocolate sauce, sprinkled with pecans and then some whipped topping on the top. It was YUMMY!!! Very rich but yummy! I almost got the deep fat fried cheesecake but oped for this instead! I'll have to try the cheesecake some other time :)! We left the fair at around 4 and Jeff and I got home at around 7:30 or so. It was a great day and really fun! Well worth the time off from work..he he!
On Saturday we slept in some (if you call 8:00 a.m. sleeping in). Jeff worked outside in the morning and I did some things in the house. At around 1:15 p.m. we left for the Outlaw Pull in Dell Rapids. It was really chilly again on Saturday but hey it's better then roasting the whole day! The pull we good. I took some pictures (which I will put on here sometime in the next few days). There were over 100 hooks (tractors to pull that day)...so it was a long pull. It went from 3 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. We got home at 9:30 that night so it wasn't like we were out until 2 a.m....which is a good thing! That's it now for tractor pulling for the year. Now Jeff and Brian are starting to talk snowmobiling :)!!!
On Sunday we went to Inwood (boy were we in the car A LOT this weekend)! We went to church and then had dinner with Lee, Judy, Tami, Alan, Corey, and Brian. I ended up taking a nap in the afternoon (go figure..he he)! The guys watched football. It was a relaxing day! We got home around 7:00 that night and vegged the rest of the night.
Now it's back to the grind. I'm working 8 to 2 this whole week since I took Friday off to go to the fair. Oh well...it was well worth it! My mom is coming up to our house tonight to take us out for supper and stay over. She came up to Adam, Morgan, and Cade's on Sunday and watched Cade yesterday and today. She'll be heading back home tomorrow already. My dad wasn't able to come this time. When I get done with work I better tidy up our house some :)! Jeff's been busy working out in the shop. He is busy getting a car ready to sell. I think he's almost done with it...just had to change the oil in it and clean it up. We will have 3 vehicles for sale out at our place by the end of the week. So if anyone is looking for a car or truck...he he :)!!
So that's our "long" weekend in a nut shell. We were busy but it looks like things will really start slowing down now that pulling is done. Now it's time to get out the scrapbooking stuff and get to work on our wedding scrapbook. Who knows..it might be done by November 4 (our 2 year anniversary). I also need to wallpaper my kitchen and Jeff was talking the other day about painting the house before it gets too cold. So I take that back...maybe things won't be slowing down until the snow (did I just type that word??) flies!!
We hope everyone had a great weekend. HAPPY TUESDAY!! God's Blessings to everyone!!
7 comments:
Holy Moly, you guys drove a lot last weekend.
Glad you had a great weekend!!
Let's not talk about snow! UGH!
Sounds like you had a great weekend. For some reason...I don't believe that winter will slow things down for you guys! You are always busy, busy!!
Shame on you! Saying the S word, how dare you. Haa
You were sure busy. Sounds like the fair was a hit.
Lots of miles, glad to hear all went well. Have a great week!
I can't believe that you've never seen a cow close up. We don't have cows, we have cattle (ours don't give milk!!) but if you would really like a close up look, I can call you the next time we are going to be "working" them. We run them through the head gate and give them shots, I have even been the one giving shots before - now that is a close up view!! After reading this I see why you don't have any new recipes for me to try!!
Lori
Sounds like a fun fair. Minnesota Mud Pie.....sounds yummy!
It sounds like you had another good weekend! Fairs, good food, football, a nap....what more could anyone want??? I hope you have jsut as good a week coming up!
You just took me down memory lane with your great discription of the fair. I have not been to a fair in so long. The food sounded so yummy....and fattening!
I cannot believe you have never seen a cow up close. That made me laugh.
Since you decided to bring up the S word first, you get to come to my house and scoop after the first blizzard. :o)
Have a great day!!
Post a Comment