A lot of things got done out at our place this weekend. Jeff didn't have to work on Saturday so he got an early start on some projects out in the yard. He wanted to build the chickens a "chicken run" so they could go outside, do their "dust bath" thing, and not be in fear of getting eaten by any predators or running from the yard to find a new home. He accomplished this task in a few hours and it looks great! Now the chickens can hang around outside. We thought maybe that would help them start the egg production...as we have yet to see any of our hens lay an egg. I got Jeff some books on chickens at the library this weekend so he's been reading up on how to raise chickens. I guess it's quite common for them to stop egg production in the fall for a few weeks. I have a feeling they might be kinda "stressed" from the move too so I guess we'll just be patient and give them some time :)!
After Jeff got the chicken run done we went to town to buy a tarp for Jake's kennel. In the winter with that nasty northwest wind Jake's kennel drifts terribly (when we have a blizzard). Jeff thought if he tarped that one side it would help. We'll see what happens after the first big snow storm, whenever that may be. So Jake is set for winter now too.
Jeff then went around the whole grove and any tree branch that the ladder could touch got cut down. He got two big loads of branches cut off the trees and the grove looks a lot better now. Too bad we don't have a wood fire place to burn all that wood in..he he :)! We'll be having a big bon fire out at our house after the first snow fall :)! He finished up with all that around dark and still managed after supper to go outside and work on a pick-up.
I didn't do near at much as Jeff did on Saturday. I headed to town to buy some much needed laundry soap (I know..exciting huh?) and some other things we needed around the house. I also picked up some items for our Operation Christmas Child box from church. I love doing this year after year. We get a shoe box at church and this little pamphlet thing that tells you what items to buy. You pick out the age of the child and if you bought for a boy or girl and then fill it up with different items so this child in a 3rd world country gets a Christmas present. It's a wonderful feeling to do this for a child. I bought all sorts of good stuff to put in our box. We picked a boy age 10-14 (because I figure lots of people buy stuff for the littler kids). This boy is going to get some lollipops, gum, mints, bar soap, washcloths, toothbrush, toothpaste, yo-yo, a little Nerf football, a small notebook, and some really cool neon pens. It was funny because there was another family there buying things for their box. It just goes to show lots of churches do this (my Dad's church included). What a great thing to do :)!
After that I went to the library and got some more books. I was out of reading material so I needed to find some more. I really enjoy reading so when I don't have a book to read I sort of feel lost (I know...I'm a nerd)! I have gotten into the nightly routine of reading (not that that's a bad thing). So hopefully some of these books will be good ones! I also got some Christmas books to get some decorating ideas and also some baking and craft ideas.
I tried a few more new recipes this weekend which I plan to post on our recipe blog in the next few days. They both were very good and we had the leftovers last night when we got home from Inwood. I'm not making too many new things this week as Jeff has training on Tuesday and Thursday and won't be home for supper. I guess I'll be digging through the freezer to find something delicious to eat on those nights...he he :)!
I haven't started my Christmas shopping yet but I did manage to get all my Christmas cards addressed and ready to go. Well I still have to print out our Christmas letter but that won't take too long. I thought I better get those done as the next few weeks will start to get busier and busier. We have our first Christmas party to attend on the 1st of December and I have a feeling every weekend after that will be booked. Who am I kidding..every weekend after Thanksgiving will be booked :)! I LOVE this time of year though! I plan to start my Christmas shopping in the next week and hope to get it all done by months end.
Good grief...I'm rambling now...ha! We hope everyone had a great weekend and Happy Monday (Jeff and I are both working today). God's Blessings to everyone! Maybe I'll take some pictures of the projects Jeff did this weekend along with some chicken pictures because I know you are all dying to see them :)!
10 comments:
I AM dying to see pictures of the chickens and the chicken run (have never heard of it before).
Sounds like you had a productive weekend again. I love the idea that your church does. How do they choose which country????
You know ... I used to be as organized as you are. I have been living in complete disorder these last few weeks. I hope I regain the "order" by the end of next week -- the in-laws are coming for Thanksgiving.
Wow, you were busy, busy this weekend! Very productive, we need to get some of that ambition! LOL
Great idea on the gift!!!
Have a great week Erin!!
I personally would love to see the chickens!! It sounds like you both had busy and productive weekends. We always do the giving tree at our kids school. Each kid picks a child to buy things for. It's a good lesson! That's great that your church does something similar. Have a great week!!
Pictures, yes picture, please!
Where are the pictures? I need a visual of the chickens!! hehe
I think it is just a very busy time of year!! I will be glad when things slow down a bit.
Take care!
I thought I already posted a comment here..but guess not.
Sounds like another busy weekend.
I've participated in that Operation Christmas Child before. What a great thing to do.
Good luck getting your shopping done.
Yay for the chicken run! How's that working out for ya? any eggs yet? please please post pictures of those chicken soon! (and of your first eggs!)
I must admit that I am a bit envious that you have all your Christmas cards ready to go. Although, I have finished my Christmas shopping. I did it today... crazy, huh? It's a bit of a relief. I've been planning for a while though :o)
Hope you have a wonderful end of the week!
I have bought both my kids on gift, but so far that is it. I haven't even thought about christmas cards yet. So much to do, so little time.
Post a Comment