Friday, January 11, 2008

Adventures in Sewing: Day 1

Yesterday morning Jeff was kind enough to get my sewing machine from upstairs and set up my craft table so I could "get to know my sewing machine." Well I set it all up, took out all my supplies and then thought "Where in the world do I begin?" Well I started off by reading through the instructions manual. I literally went though and located all the different parts they talked about. Now if I were to have a quiz today, I would fail but hey yesterday while I was doing it I knew my stuff :)!

So I got familiar with all the parts, how to wind thread on a bobbin, how to thread my sewing machine and all that fun stuff. It tells you to practice but I don't have any spear thread or fabric to practice on so I just kept reading. I read all about the fun stitches my machine can do and how to set all that up. It's quite the machine....so much to learn!

So after I got through all that I decided to wash up my fabric so I could cut out my apron pattern. That's about as far as that went! I need to press the fabric today and then the cutting begins! But first...I gotta figure out how in the world to cut out the pattern. My Mom told me how to do it back in March but of course since I didn't do it right away I don't really remember (go figure)! So I might be making a call to Mom some time today to ask her how in the world I'm suppose to cut this pattern out and what all the "slang" means. Maybe I need to research sewing on the Internet to learn more...who knows :)!

So needless to say I don't have any pictures yet! I'll take some today if I can figure out how to cut out the pattern. Jeff (and Miah) asked if I had an apron done yet...nope not yet. It's still very much a work in progress and might be for awhile! Oh why oh why didn't I pay more attention in Home EC. when we were sewing? We had to make a pair of shorts in that class back when I was a Sophomore...you should have seen the shorts I made...NOT PRETTY! And they were HUGE...I think a 500 lb. man could have worn those shorts! Hopefully now that I'm older my skills will be better (plus I'm a perfectionist...don't think I was back then).

I'll post more later and of course I'll talk all about my shopping trip tomorrow next time I post. Here's to finding good bargains! Have a great weekend everyone! God's Blessings to you all!

5 comments:

Jamey said...

Can't wait to see the apron! Have a great weekend!!

Jennifer said...

You and me could be internet sewing buddies :o)

Strangely enough... I got out my new sewing machine TODAY too for the very first time. (This is the machine I got for Christmas.) Thankfully, I guess sewing is like riding a bike... once you learn, you never forgot... I took sewing lessons when I was about 12 years old with my Mom. I just learned the basics, but man did that help.

Today I sewed Richard a Pirate Costume for a thing our church is doing for our Kid's Department with the Veggie Tales Pirates Who Don't Do Anything. It came out all right... mainly just straight stitches.

I can't wait to see your apron when you finish! I just got some patterns for some cute pocketbooks, so I'm excited to try those.

Keep me posted on your sewing adventures!

A mom said...

You need some encouragement. You can do it!!!

Hope you had a good time with Val yesterday!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

There is alot of "slang" talk with sewing...it's alot easier to know the "language". My mother-in-law had to help me with it when I first started sewing again. I taught my kids how to sew too....for 4-H mostly but I also wanted them to be able to do the basics. Can't wait to see your finished apron!

Tess said...

Keep at it!! I will be reading with anticipation!!!