Friday, January 18, 2008

Lake County Speedway


After reading this article in yesterdays paper I guess I could pretend I was shocked but to be honest with you it really doesn't surprise me that Lake County Speedway may be no more. Jeff and I only attended the races there once last summer and the crowd was tiny. It really has gone down hill the last few years with races at I-90 Speedway in Hartford going the same night. A lot of the local drivers would head out to I-90 Speedway because from what I heard the pay-out was better.


I'm still kinda bummed about this whole thing though. I have TONS of memories of going to Lake County Speedway from when I was younger up until well last summer. My parents use to take us to the races Saturday nights. It really was something to look forward to when you were younger. I remember having to take a nap that afternoon before leaving so we would be able to stay awake for the whole race. I remember sitting in the stands as a young kid cheering on the local drivers and watching the crashes. We had a lot of fun back when we were kids at the races :)!


I remember how they built a "Party Barn" out there to have it knocked down by a tornado a few weeks or months later. My friend Val and I would sit in the stands goofing off (remember the "Invisible Chickens" Val??!!) most of the night and of course cheering on our favorite drivers. I also remember how much I hated the toilets out there. For the longest time they were just basically a very not so fancy porta potty (ok so it was more like a hole in the ground with some wood built up around it and a toilet seat for decoration)...not fun. I hated those potty's and often refused to use them. When they got flushy toilets that was the greatest (ok it doesn't take much to amuse me does it..he he)!


When I got older and had moved out my brother and I still continued the tradition on Saturday nights. I would pick him up and we would head to the races. In fact Jeff and I had our first two dates at Lake County Speedway (so yes there is some sentimental things about that track too that I'll always treasure). In the years that Jeff and I have been together we have gone to the races a few times a year. We can always hear them from our house. It's a neat sound to hear while sitting outside on a hot summer night...something I'll probably miss.


I'm not sure what's going to happen to Lake County Speedway. I guess it just depends on what happens at the auction at the end of February. If there are never races there again at least I'll always have memories. And I guess Jeff and I can always hop in the car and head on to Hartford. We can still get our racing fix there :)!


Otherwise not much else is going on at our house. It's TOO COLD out there! I'm not a fan of this weather but what do you do. I hope after this weekend it starts to warm up! I would even take 25 degrees at this point! That will probably feel like a heat wave!


Happy Friday to everyone! We hope you all have a great day and a wonderful weekend! God's Blessings to you all!!

6 comments:

Tracy said...

I also enjoyed the races at Lake County Speedway but things have really gone downhill the past couple of years. I wonder who will buy it and what they'll do with it...

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

It's always sad to lose part of the town and town's history!

Jen said...

That's too bad. I hate it when things you like get shut down.

Jamey said...

I used to go to Lake County Speedway at least once a month all summer every summer as a kid. My uncle raced there all the time. That's sad. I haven't been there in years, but I have good memories!

A mom said...

The reason it has gone down hill the past couple of years is because Al is no longer racing. Why else would anyone go to the races?! KIDDING!

That track was Al's & my life for many years. I have so many great memories there also. Hopefully, somone will buy it and bring it back to its former glory.

Tess said...

I agree, I hope that someone buys it that will keep it a race track!! We spent many years out there and have lots of memories! Some of which might coincide with Miah's (I know - SCARY!! HA) There are lots of names being thrown around as to who will buy it, we will just have to wait and see I guess!