Monday, June 11, 2007

The Good and Bad....

Our weekend was very eventful to say the least! We left for Jeff's tractor pull at 2 p.m. on Friday. We got to Inwood and Jeff finished up the last few things he needed to do on the tractor. We got to the pull at about 5:45 p.m. and pretty much hung out until it started. We all sat in a little group by the 250 foot line and the FUN began! Jeff ended up being second puller in his class. Needless to say he wasn't too thrilled about that but he went for it. The tractor looked GREAT out there. Unfortunately it didn't run so great. He took off and it looked like it was going to die but he managed to get it going and then it looked good...just for a few seconds and then it made this awful noise and the rest is history. It broke after he drove it 100 foot! I felt so bad for him. They figured out that it was the brand new Turbo they had put on so now the search begins to find another one or completely rebuild this broken one before Friday. I guess that's why they have "Test and Tune"! Jeff is going to Inwood on Wednesday or Thursday to work on it. It'll be as good as new by Friday :)! We left the tractor pull at about 11:30 p.m. and got back to our house at 2 a.m. Yes we did sleep in on Saturday...until 9 a.m which was kinda nice.

On Saturday I was pretty tired so needless to say I didn't do too much. I sat outside reading and of course took a nap in the afternoon. Jeff did a bunch of stuff outside. He cleaned up our boat, did a few things with one of our mowers and then he mowed the lawn. He was a busy guy! So Saturday was just kind a relaxing day at home...which is always nice!

On Sunday we went to Inwood for our usual church and family time. We ate a BIG lunch and at about 2 p.m. Jeff, Brian and I headed over to Tami and Alan's to visit with them and to see our new nephew Corey. What a CUTIE!! We are so very blessed to have another very special nephew to love! We hung out there for a few hours and decided at about 4 p.m. to leave. When we left their house the weather was looking kinda nasty (thunderheads all over the place) but we thought we might beat it back to Inwood so we left. After driving for a little while we ran into so really heavy rains...which soon turned to pea to marble sized hail!! When the hail started we happened to be by a railroad bridge so we parked under there. Of course this bridge isn't the same as a car bridge so the hail was still hitting our car some. But for the most part we were protected. Well after sitting there for 15 minutes and the hail was still falling we thought maybe we could drive out of this storm. So we took off (oh and under the bridge the water was completely across the road which wasn't good either so it was time to go). We started driving and it kept hailing. The sky was getting brighter so I was thinking that was a good sign. BOY WAS I WRONG!!! We drove out of the pea and marble sized hail and then the BIG HAIL started! We are talking GOLF BALL SIZED HAIL!! I was not amused...either were Jeff and Brian. We had one hail chunk hit the windshield and we seriously thought it was going to crack the windshield. I mean what do you do at this point? We parked the car and prayed that this hail would stop. It didn't stop for what seem like an eternity. It just kept hitting the car. All I could do was cry (I know that is pointless because there really wasn't anything I could do to stop it but still...the car was getting pounded). It finally stopped after 5 minutes or so...but the damage was done. We drove back to Inwood and pulled into Lee and Judy's driveway. We all got out and assessed the damage. I would say that I bet we have about $5,000.00 worth of damage done on our car (we just got this car in February...it's a 2006 Impala). Some of the dents you could easily rest a golf ball in and it wouldn't roll or anything. I'm happy nothing more came out of this storm (like a tornado or anything that would have put us in danger) and I know that the car is still drivable but still! So today Jeff is going to call our Insurance guy and also make an appointment at the body shop to see just how much damage the car truly has.

So the weekend had some good and bad but for the most part it was mostly good :)! We hope everyone else had a less eventful weekend. Now it's back to the grind today. Jeff has another tractor pull on Friday night. I'm going to post some pictures of the finished tractor later this afternoon. God's Blessings to everyone!

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh, man!! Sorry to hear about your car!! I would have done the same thing as you and cry! Hail is just the worst thing!!

Too bad about the tractor too! Hopefully Jeff can get it fixed and have some better luck!

I hope you have a better Monday!

Jamey said...

Wow, that hail storm does not sound fun! I hope you get good news from the insurance company and the body shop. Maybe it will be easy to fix! Good luck with the tractor this coming weekend!!

Just Mom said...

OMG. I'd be crying too if I was stuck in a hail storm. I'm glad you two are OK, though.

Sorry about the car damage, and the tractor. Things can only get better, right? :-D

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

We were watching the radar and listening to the radio yesterday afternoon and heard about all the storms in that area and in Minnesota. What a scary thing to have been in, but like you said, at least no tornados.

A mom said...

Parden my french, but that really sucks! I am not sure why we all seem to have such a love for our vehicles. I think you handled yourself rather well. I probably would have been cussing like mad and then got out and threw the hail stones like a raving lunatic.

I hope Jeff gets the tractor fixed. I guess its all part of the sport, but it is still a bummer. I am going to do a little cheer (kind of like a rain dance) in hopes that things go much better for you this week!!

Tracy said...

Wow! That doesn't sound fun...the hail damage to your vehicle OR the tractor pull. I hope Friday night is better for the hubby!!