Monday, September 10, 2007

The Last Tractor Pull and Other Ramblings...

Jeff and I had another busy weekend! I'm not sure what we are going to do with ourselves now that tractor pulling is done on the weekends but I'm sure we'll find some stuff to occupy our time :)!

On Friday night we decided to have a "camp" fire outside in our fire bowl. Jeff poured oil and gas on it to get it going (since the wood was wet from the rain the night before) and boy did that thing burn! It felt really nice and warm especially since the night was really kind of cool. The stars were out...it was a beautiful night! We roasted marshmallows and made S'mores. It was a good time. Even Jake got a S'more (minus the chocolate and his marshmallow wasn't toasted). Jeff and I sat out there until about midnight and then called it a night.

On Saturday Jeff loaded up the tractor and we made the 2 hour drive to Tripp, SD. It was raining here when we left home so we weren't sure what was going to happen but the closer we got to Tripp we realized the roads weren't even wet. There was no rain (which was a good thing) but it was cloudy and cooler out. I was happy to be able to wear jeans and a cozy sweatshirt to the pull (there is something magical about wearing things like that when the weather starts to change..I look forward to it every year...he he)! Most of the afternoon was cloudy but when it cleared off it got a little hot. Jeff did good at his last pull of the season. In his first class he got a 4th place (I think) and in the second class he got a 7th place. AWESOME! He was right in there with everyone else and was very pleased with the results. WAY TO GO HONEY!! I'M VERY PROUD OF YOU! After he was done pulling we sat around and watched Brian pull. By this time however the wind had shifted directions and all the dust was blowing in our faces. And it got COLD!!! The wind was blowing about 30 mph or more and it was just nasty outside. I'm happy it didn't start to rain or I would have spent the rest of the evening in the truck! We finally decided to leave when Brian's class was over. That was at 8:00 p.m.! The pull started at around 1:30 p.m. so after being there for well over 7 hours we decided we had had enough..plus we were frozen!! So we got home at 10 p.m. and took showers to wash the track off of us! I kid you not I had half the tractor in my ears...gross I know but it's the truth..he he!!

On Sunday we headed down to Inwood for church and family time. I must have needed some sleep that afternoon because my typical 1 hour nap turned into a 2 hour and 15 minute nap! YIKES!! It felt good though (must have been the cloudy dreary weather). We got to see Corey yesterday and it seems like he's growing before our eyes! Hard to believe our little nephews are growing up so fast! Cade will be 9 months old in a few days and Corey was just 3 months! Were does the time go?! We'll have to go see Adam, Morgan, and Cade here in the next few weeks (it's been too long)!

So that's our weekend. Busy but fun! Like I said at the beginning I'm not sure what we are going to do now on the weekends now that tractor pulling is done. I might start up some of my hobbies again. I have a sewing machine that I got for Christmas (last year) waiting to be used for the first time...might have to try my hand at sewing. I also need to start up on our wedding scrapbook again. I was hoping to have it done by our 2 year anniversary (November 4) but I don't know if that's going to happen. I better get crackin' if it is..he he! We are taking most of the garden out this week too...the only thing that is left growing in our garden as of now is our green peppers...so we'll let those do their thing and get rid of everything else. That'll be a pretty big project I think!

We hope everyone had a great weekend! Happy Monday everyone! God's Blessings to you all!

7 comments:

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

I wish I could have sat at your "camp" fire with you...I love bonfires! It was a gorgeous night for it too!

A mom said...

I like the new layout. I was also thinking that I should change mine. Tis the season, right?

I am sure you will find plenty to do to pass the time until the next TP season. Mmmm, perhaps a baby would help....he he.

I so wish I could take a 2 hour nap. I miss my naps. Huge nap fan here. One day, I will nap again!

Happy Tuesday to ya!

Jamie said...

Congrats on a very successful tractor pulling season!!

We also love to have fires at night. Especially now that is gets chilly at night. Fun fun...plus you get to have smores without camping. :)

Tess said...

Oh campfire, that sounds great. I miss that smell! I love it!!

Way to go on the Tractor pull!! That is great. You guys put so much effort in, it is great to have good results!!

Have a great week!

Lori said...

Glad Jeff did so well in the tractor pulls again. Congrats.

I bet you will wonder what to do with yourselves with that season done with now.

I love Miah's comment about a baby helping(you would be busy then).

I love your new blog template too.

Jennifer said...

Oh I can't tell you how much I enjoyed hearing about your cool weather. I'm praying for it here in NC very very soon! We're still hitting 90 degrees and up :o( and praying for rain, which we haven't seen in weeks and weeks. I am longing for the days of sweatshirts and jeans around a bonfire....

I'm hoping to get a sewing machine for Christmas this year. After seeing so many blog ladies make such treasures, I'd like to try my hand at it again. (I say again b/c my mom and I took sewing classes when I was in high school. It was fun, I just didn't have time to really get into it then.)

Oh a wedding scrapbook! We're coming up on our 1st Year Anniversary November 11th (aren't November weddings great?!? I loved it!) We just got our pictures a week or so ago, long story, but it's hard to demand something when it's family. Anyway... That's on my to-do list as soon as we get some pics printed. Please post some pictures when you start your scrapbook! I'd love to get some new ideas :o)

Thanks for all the good luck wishes on my new job. It's only part-time, but I'm very hopeful that it will just be a seg-way to meet new people and possibly get a full time job elsewhere as well. I'm excited.

Have a great evening!

Jennifer said...

Wow Erin! I didn't realize it, but you and I could be twins!

the whole church thing has been a huge prayer request for a long time. My husband, Rich, is very close with his family, they do everything together, and I also enjoy it so much. Every Sunday since the beginning of time, Rich's Nannie has prepared Sunday Lunch for his family. There's usually about 20 people on average each Sunday. it's just a great time of love and laughter... lots of laughter.

It's so hard driving an hour and for you, 1 1/2 hours (eek!) to attend church. I know from experience that it really takes it toll on you.

For us, it's still a process of prayer and faith. I kept telling myself the same as you, "when we have kids, we'll have to find a church around here." Even though we are in the first stages of getting to know Pine Ridge, it was like God just opened the doors right up for us. I really believe that God wants us to minister to others where we live. It's so hard to do that when we attend church so far away, it's like our spiritual family is distant physically.

For me and Rich, we really need a church family close by. We need those relationships and accountability. It's so hard though. It's hard to be patient. It's hard to go out and look for a new church home. It's hard to take a chance being the new person.

I know that God heard my prayers for 10 months or more. Although Rich and I didn't discuss it much (primarily b/c it would end with us both getting frustrated), God knew what it would take for my thick headed husband to be open to change. He's amazing like that!

Man, this is a long comment. :o)
Anyway, I'll be praying for you. It's such a hard decision and transition.

Hope you have a great week!