Thursday, October 25, 2007

Menu's and a Quest to Save Some Dough...

Last year I was one of those really motivated women who had a month's worth of menu's planned and a grocery list a mile long to take with me on my monthly trek to the grocery store. Well as things got busier I abandoned the menu's and just started making the same thing week after week. Jeff and I are in a "Supper Time Rut"! It seems like every week we have the same thing for supper...Tator Tot Hotdish (one of my favorites), Hamburgers, Homemade Pizza, Roast and Potatoes, Spaghetti, etc. Well it's time for a change! I'm getting sick of the same ol' things for supper. Since I LOVE to cook and enjoy trying new recipes I have decided to start my menu's up again.

Now this is quite the process. I get 2 to 3 cooking magazines monthly so I have a ton of options when it comes to meal planning. I also have about 35 cookbooks to look though for ideas. I started going through some of my most recent magazines earlier this week and have tried to make some menu's. Then I realized one of my magazines actually has weekly menu's with recipes planned out. What a great concept! However Jeff and I can be kinda picky when it comes to certain foods so I might be doing some modifications to these menu's. I can handle that :)! I hope to have my menu for November all planned out by next week sometime so I can head to Walmart to buy all my groceries to make a months' worth of meals. I did take into consideration Thanksgiving...I won't have to cook that day..YIPPEEE!!!

Another thing we have decided to do with regards to grocery shopping is start going to Walmart once a month for the "big" list and hit the local grocery store for things like milk and eggs. I am happy our town has a grocery store and really don't mind going there but the prices are nuts! I have found that things at Walmart are quite a bit cheaper then in town. I compared the price of a box of instant oatmeal once and found there to be a $2.00 difference and at Walmart it wasn't even on sale. I love canned soups and around here the soups are anywhere from $.25 to $.50 cents more a can then they are at Walmart. I think in the long run we'll save money even though I'll have to burn some gas to get there. There is also another thing about Walmart...you can get everything there! I usually end up going to the Dollar Store and to the grocery store and sometimes to Lewis or Pamida to get every day household things (like toothpaste, laundry soap, etc.). I can get that all at Walmart too. So instead of stopping at 2 or 3 places I can now hit Walmart and be done with it. YIPPEEE!!! We are hoping in the long run doing this will save us money. I guess we'll have to wait and see :)!

I guess not too much else is going on at our house. I'm happy it's Thursday today! My favorite shows are on tonight (My Name is Earl, The Office, and Scrubs). So you'll find me sitting in front of the TV for most of the night..he he :)! Not sure what Jeff will be doing tonight. I wouldn't doubt if he has some sort of project to do out in the shop! My Mom (Dad can't come due to work) is coming up this way on Saturday so I'll head to Adam, Morgan, and Cade's to see her and all of them. Jeff is going to Inwood (I think)...I guess it depends on the weather. He has a lot of stuff he wants to get done out in the yard before it gets too cold and the snow flies. So I don't know for sure what he's doing Saturday.

Well that's all for now. I hope everyone has a wonderful rest of the week! God's Blessings to everyone!

9 comments:

Tracy said...

We eat all the things you mentioned quite often as well. I make menus. A 5 week rotating one. That way I know what the daycare kids are eating for breakfast and lunch and what my family is eating for supper. I need some new ideas as well.

Right now we shop ONCE a week. It's ridiculous really but once the weather gets bad...we don't go as often.

Jamie said...

I have started making menus too, but a whole months worth! WOWZERS woman - that is some good planning.

I know what you mean about Wal-mart being cheaper but I think for me I spend more because then I just HAVE to stop at other places. I hardle ever go to Pamida and Lewis since I usually find most of my things at Dollar General. I am just NOT a fan of Pamida and Lewis.

Just Mom said...

I can handle weekly meal plans. Monthly ones seem overwhelming to me. Maybe I'll work up to it.

We do the Wal-Mart thing too, but not every week. I've had to pay the high prices in town. ICK!

Jennifer said...

I'm with ya Erin! Rich and I are in a rut too. It stinks.

I have never been good about shopping once a month. I love to cook too though. I can't wait to see your menu :o) (I also like to get ideas from Tracy over at Unless the Lord. She's great about having economical dishes that are delicious and easy.)

Sounds like you have a great weekend planned!

I'm stampin' in front of the tube tonight, too. Although, I'm more into Survivor and CSI.

Cheers to Thursday nights!

A mom said...

I recently found a great recipe website where you can browse, recipes, save to an online recipe box if you like, and print out your shopping list. The greatest thing about it is the shopping list is seperated into "isles". Produce,dairy, etc. It even includes spices, etc. That is huge for me, because I am still trying to understand spices. Lol. I don't generally have the right stuff on hand, because spice to me is salt and pepper. LOL!

I can't think of the site off of the top of my head, but I am sure there are many like it. Though, usually the ones I have seen do not include everything you need. They just assume you are betty crocker and have the basics on hand.

I am going to start planning my meals better too. However, I think I will stick to doing two weeks at a time.

Good luck with your MONTHLY menu! Have a fantastic weekend Erin!

LKooiker said...

I sure do hope that if you come across any good recipes that you will share them in your recipe blog!!!! I was thinking on your monthly menu and grocery getting. I think that my grocery bill for a whole month at one time for my family of 6 would frighten me!!!! My grocery bill for one week scares me! Any way - be sure to share those good recipes you find.
Lori

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Boy you are organized...a menu for a month...I envy you....I am so not that organized.

Tess said...

My hubby has always wanted me to do the meal planning thing. I don't work that way, I am more of a "what am I hungry for" type cook. Maybe I could get used to it if I did it, but I am not that organized either!

Hope you had a great weekend.

Lori said...

Great idea Erin. I kinda get tired of eating the same things too and always look for new ideas.
I should actually make out a menu plan like you suggest.
I agree...it is nice to have a grocery store in this town but the prices are ridiculous. I'm sure you will save money buying things at Walmart. We do the same thing...stock up at Walmart and just buy the necessities in town here.