Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Weird Ducks


It's been a few days since I last posted. Jeff and I have been very busy doing the usual summer activities. This past Saturday we went to the Brookings Arts Festival. We bought lots of good stuff and ate a bunch of good food! Then that same night we went to Rock Valley, IA for an Outlaw Tractor Pull. That was fun too! The weekend was nice and HOT...now we just need rain! Yes I said it....we NEED rain! I suppose since we have a tractor pull on Saturday in Beresford it's going to rain. I don't think anyone would mind...as long as it waits until after the pull!!

In the last post about Jake I said I would talk about our ducks. Yes we have ducks....5 of them to be exact. We learned something this summer that we didn't know and apparently lots of people didn't know either. Did you know that baby ducks can drown? We didn't...and lost 10 baby ducks in June. We waited and waited for our female duck to lay eggs and sit on her nest and she finally did. At the beginning of June they all hatched and we had 11 new ducks to add to our 4 that we already had. Well we went away that weekend and on Monday night when we got back...10 of the 11 babies had drown. It was so sad....they were so cute but apparently they aren't suppose to "swim" until after 3 weeks or so. Wish we would have known that. We did have one survivor. We figured out that he was the "runt" of the bunch and wasn't able to get into the water dish which apparently saved his life. A month and a half later that "runt" is almost full grown. We are so shocked he (not sure if it's a he or not but I always call it he) survived.

The first week he was alive was a tough one on the little survivor. Jake thought he was going to play with him and took off running with this poor baby duck in his mouth. Thank goodness Jeff was outside to see this and he got Jake to drop the baby duck. Well after that the momma duck didn't want to have anything to do with her baby. So this poor thing spent 2 or 3 days by itself. He knew were the food and water was and he wandered around the yard crying for his mom. It made me sad and I didn't think he was going to make it. Well a few days after the dog incident...the baby was up in the yard crying for his mom again...and out of know where here she comes...quacking at the top of her lungs and flying and running to get her baby. It was the neatest thing I have ever seen!! Ever since then they have been together along with the other 3 ducks.

The ducks are kinda strange...they do not like me and Jeff. They run at the site of us and if they hear the front door open they take off down the yard. They are getting a little better. For some reason they really like Jake. At night, they sleep right in front of his kennel door. We think it's for protection. In the morning they are gone...usually roaming around the yard eating bugs and sleeping in the shade. They are fun to watch and we enjoy having them around, for the most part....they poop a lot and that's all I'm going to say about that :)!!

We hope everyone is well...Gods blessings to everyone! More stories to come later this week!

No comments: