I don't know why I thought of this the other day but I did so now you all get to read about it :)! It's a story about when I was in 6th grade...a long long time ago :)!
When I was in 6th grade I broke my foot. I won't go into the details of how I broke it because it was something really really stupid that resulted in me getting a lovely cast and some even equally lovely crutches. At first it was kinda nice to have everyone in the classroom helping me out. People would carry my books, they would help me with my lunch tray, and they would ask me how I was doing. Of course that's a big deal when you are in 6th grade...you want everyone to be your buddy. Well after a week of all this attention and after being on crutches I was SICK OF IT!! I hated my crutches and stairs were the worst. I just couldn't figure out how to manage the stairs. Going up the stairs was fine but coming back down was a whole other story. I would always put my crutches first and then I would "hang" by my armpits off the crutches. I finally one day had had enough and put my crutches in one had and jumped down the 3 stairs I had left to go down. My teacher was horrified!! She looked at me like I had lost my mind. She probably thought I was trying to break the other foot.
A week into my broken foot experience, our class along with half the school was going to the Arena in Sioux Falls to see President Bush (the first Bush not the 2nd). Of course I don't think anyone cared that he was going to be there...we all just wanted to get out of school for the day! So we bored the bus (and you know how that goes...everyone wants the back seats in the bus) and we were off to the Arena. What a ZOO!! There was TONS and TONS of buses there along with half the state of South Dakota. The streams of people entering into the arena was massive! I couldn't believe it. So here I am, broken foot and crutches trying to maneuver though the masses. We finally got into the Arena where there were a bunch of guys with those medal detector wands scanning everyone that dared to enter the main area of the Arena.
As I'm standing there getting scanned...the scanner guy decides that he needs to shove that wand in my cast because apparently he thought there could be a weapon in there. I think he checked my cast 5 times. He even inspected my crutches. I know he was just doing his job but goodness I was 12 years old...hardly threatening by my standards. But at least he was throe. So after holding up the line for what seemed like forever I finally got into the main part of the Arena only to discover that we had to go to the nosebleed section! Boy this was going to be a blast hobbling up endless flights of stairs on crutches. My armpits have never been so sore! I don't remember how I got back down all these stairs but you can sure bet I didn't try to be superwoman and jump down all of them.
I'm not sure why I wanted to share this story...maybe it's lack of something to write about or maybe it's for a warning to others not to do stupid things and break your foot in the process. Oh and by the way...my foot wasn't really broken. There was a hair line fracture and it didn't require a cast (the genius doctor read the X-rays wrong...thanks a lot doc!). Instead of wearing my cast for 4 to 6 weeks I only had to wear it for 2 weeks. I was never so happy to get that thing off and to ditch those crutches!
Hopefully I didn't bore everyone with this story! As you can tell...not much is going on at our house. Work is busy for both of us..which is always good. I got all the laundry done yesterday so this afternoon I get to clean (yippeee...ok so not really). Jeff has things to work on in the shop tonight and tomorrow he's going to Inwood to pick up some pieces of his "new" tractor so he can start to pound out the dents, sand it and paint it. I'm going to stay home and watch my favorite Thursday night TV line up (The Office, Scrubs, etc.)
Stay warm everyone...winter has returned (hopefully only for a short time). God's Blessings to everyone!!
4 comments:
That is an interesting story. Sorry to hear about your foot.
?? Good thing they read the xray as your foot wasn't broke after all.
Thanks for sharing.
Wow, that was nice of the dr. Good thing we pay them big money to read things wrong!!
Bye the way, that was a good story!!
Ok, I can appreciate that security wants to keep the president safe, but a twelve year old? Where you going through a goth stage or something? When I was 12, I certainly don't think I would have thought about sticking a machine gun in my crutches.
It amazes me that some Dr's even receive a license. Someday's I think I could be a dr. Thanks for sharing your story!
I agree with Miah. How in the WORLD do some doctors get to be doctors. Don't they all to school for the same length and for the same thing??
Then why are some so dumb!??
Post a Comment