Thursday, August 17, 2006

Homemade Goodness...It Doesn't Get Any Better Then This!!


Jeff and I have been greatly enjoying all the fresh produce and all the homemade breads and muffins I have been making from our garden produce. It's amazing that our garden produced so well! Last year we tried to grow zucchini and it just wouldn't grow so this year as we are picking 2 zucchini per week, we are so very thankful that it took off like it did. The cucumbers too have just gone NUTS! I picked a whole gallon pail full of them the other night and now we have 7 jars of Dill Pickles and 7 jars of Refrigerator Pickles. I'm sure there will be more to pick today or tomorrow...so I'll probably be making more Dill pickles since those keep in the basement and can be eaten whenever. The cherry tomatoes are going crazy too! I had 1 1/2 gallon pails full of them last night! I didn't really know what to do with them so last night I asked mom and dad and they said to just freeze them whole. So I ended up with 3 large bags full of whole cherry tomatoes. Those will taste really good in soups and tomato based sauces later on this winter. We have one of those Food Saver vacuum sealers so that is coming in very handy when freezing all this garden stuff.

Yesterday I was off from work waiting for the Dish Network guy to come fix our dish. Well they said when I made the appointment that he would be there between 8 and noon...so we figured he'd be there at 11:30...well 12:15 rolled around and he still hadn't been there. So I get on the phone and call up Dish Network to see what's going on. They got ahold of the tech and he said he'd be at our house in 15 minutes (so about 12:30)...well 1:30 rolled around and he still wasn't there. So I called them again. This time the tech wouldn't answer dispatch so they took our home number to have him call us when he got to his phone. So I sat in the house waiting for this guys call. He finally called at 2:15 and said he'd be there in 45 minutes or so. So he finally showed up at 3:15! We got everything fixed so that's a good thing. I guess things like that happen sometime but a phone call that morning would have been nice. Oh well!

We mowed yesterday...and boy did the grass need it. It was getting long. Looking back at some of these posts, I never thought the grass would grow again. Now it's August and we have mowed 2 times in the last 2 weeks which is pretty impressive because I think we only mowed 1 or 2 times the whole month of July. The grass is a lush green again which is awesome! We are truly blessed with the rain we have received this month...it really has helped everything look healthier!

Jeff is NOT pulling in Ocheyedan tomorrow night...it's just too far for us to go. But he is pulling in Rock Valley at 3pm on Saturday. We really hope to see some of you out there. It sounds like it's going to be a nice day for tractor pulling (not to hot and I didn't see anything about that stuff that I'm always complaining about...I'm not going to say it, I might jinx it if I type that word)! After Saturday there is only one pull left and that's in Madison. It'll be nice to be closer to home for that one!

Gods blessings to everyone! More to come from the Blankespoor household later this week or weekend!

No comments: