Thursday, January 18, 2007

An Experience

On Monday night Jeff and I went out to one of the local Hutterite Colonies to see their new high tech hog building. Jeff has been good friends with Joe and Gary (Joe's brother). Through the years he has worked on their stuff at Prostrollo's and has become pretty close to Joe and his family. Now that I'm married to Jeff, I too have become friends with Joe. He is the one who found Jeff's "new" tractor (G1000 Minnie). He is always bringing us things...for instance for Christmas he gave us a 12 lb. smoked Turkey (it was yummy). He is always doing things for us or giving us things...we always want to do something nice for them too but he never wants anything in return. Jeff does do quite a bit for them...but I always feel like I should be doing things to thank Joe for all he has given us and done for us. Anyway, back to my story....

Joe wanted us to come out there on Monday to take a look at this building before the big open house on Tuesday. So we got there at about 8 p.m. and walked around this hog building. It's HUGE!! Take the normal sized hog building and double it. This building can hold 8,000 pigs! It's very high tech...computerized everything. It was very impressive and I'm convinced I could have gotten lost in there if they would have left me alone! After walking around in there, Joe invited us back to his house.

We walked in and just felt so welcomed! Joe's wife and youngest daughter were there along with his one year old grandson, and 2 of his daughter-in-laws. We sat there and chatted...they showed us some pictures of their other children. Then Joe's wife made us some "lunch". We went out into the kitchen and there was quite the spread on the table. There was homemade dinner rolls (they had made 600 plus rolls that day for the open house on Tuesday), homemade sausage, fried chicken, cake, and crackers. It was all very very good! Those women sure know how to bake/cook. I think I could learn a thing or two from them! We ate and drank some tea...and chatted some more. It was really nice. I enjoyed seeing how they live. Their houses are just like ours...they live just like we do expect they don't have t.v's (which isn't a bad thing). They keep up with the news and things through the paper and through radio. They are very high tech with regards to cell phones...they all have them. They drive newer vehicles and they goof around just like the rest of us. It was so nice to be able to sit and talk and just hang out with them at their place.

I just wanted to share our experience. For some reason some people have a negative opinion about the Hutterite Colonies. Jeff and I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with Joe and his family along with a few other's that Jeff talks to on a regular basis.

Otherwise not much else is going on with us. I am going shopping with my best friend Val on Saturday. Jeff might be going to Inwood that day but he wasn't sure yet. We just can't believe that's it's already Thursday! Where do the weeks go? We hope everyone is doing great this week. God's Blessings to everyone!

No comments: