For about 2 weeks Jeff and I looked through the seed catalog we got in the mail one day. One night, we made out a list of all the things we want to grow in our garden this summer. After much consideration and about $100.00 we had the order form and check ready to mail out. We sent the order in the day before Snow Storm #1 hit last week. After Snow Storm #2 came I thought I was crazy for thinking about planting the garden already! You might want to call it wishful thinking....or maybe I'm looking forward to Spring. Jeff and I both love to garden. We've had a garden now for 2 years (this will be year 3) and each year the garden gets bigger. In fact I think this year we'll have a few different garden plots all around the yard. We are even going to have an herb garden! Last year we planted the basics: tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, peas, beans, onions, radishes, cucumbers and zucchini. Everything grew GREAT!! I even learned to can last summer so we could eat some of the home-grown freshness this winter. I used the last of the canned tomatoes and green beans last week when I made homemade vegetable beef soup (and boy was it yummy). We have about 10 jars of pickles left, some vacuum sealed cherry tomatoes, and some frozen vacuum sealed zucchini (which will be used in bread or muffins someday real soon). It makes me so excited to get the garden going again this year...I find it relaxing and rewarding all at the same time!
Last fall Jeff plowed up about 5 acres of our alfalfa so we can plant candy/sweet corn and potatoes. The plan is to of course, eat as much of it as we can, share it with our families, can it until I can't can anymore, and then sell it. So if all goes well we'll be selling our corn and potatoes this summer. I can't wait!! So here's to SPRING and SUMMER...we know you are right around the corner and we are so looking forward to it!!
Oh and by the way...after all this snow we finally got plowed outta here on Saturday at 5:30 p.m. They had to have a pay loader dig out the gravel road so we were very thankful he came by and made one path down the road. On Sunday when we got home from our Sunday festivities we noticed that they had completely cleared off the road. I would really like to thank whoever did it...I just wish they would get out here a little quicker (but then again it was probably pointless since it was blowing so bad on Saturday morning...would have drifted right back in again). So we survived the Blizzard of 2007!! Here's to Spring...hopefully it's just right around the corner!!
God's Blessing to everyone! More to come later in the week...probably more video's of our Spearfish trip!
No comments:
Post a Comment