With this rapid melting Jeff and I have water in our basement. We have 2 sump pumps down there that pump out the water...well for the most part anyway. They pump out the water that reaches the pump. Anyway...my mom and I had bummed around Madison on Friday afternoon and when we got back to the house we heard what sounded like a waterfall down in the basement. I was like "What in the world is that?!?" I walked down into the basement to find the sump pump hose still in the house and all the water that was going into the pump was being pumped back out into the basement and recycled into the pump again. It was a vicious cycle! So being the genius that I am...I was trying to get the hose out the window before it would pump the water out again. Not smart!! With the water going into the pump so fast it was pumping it out every 10 seconds or so...I would no sooner get the hose in the air ready to head out the window when the water would pump out and squirt out everywhere! I finally had an Ah-ha moment when I realized that if I unplugged it it might stop actually pumping long enough for me to get the hose out the window. My mom was down there trying to assist me...so we unplugged the pump and I went to open the window to stick the hose out and there was a rabbit right there! I freaked out!! I wasn't expecting a rabbit to be sitting there. I slammed the window and the rabbit ran off.
Well after the rabbit incident my mom and I tried and tried to get that hose out the window. We finally managed to get it outside and I plugged the pump back in. Well the force of the water being pumped out made the hose fall back into the basement! So here comes the mess again...water was going everywhere! This time I went and unplugged the pump immediately (genius I know :)!!) and pushed it back out the window. My mom went outside to make sure that it was actually out in the yard...which is was. Jeff had it rigged up so that you could tie the hose to the window. So I figured that out and the hose actually stayed outside this time. And yes I did manage to remember to plug it back in! So us ladies handled it just fine.
Jeff got home from work and we told him about the "waterfall" in the basement. He said he thought about that in the middle of the day...he said "I was going to put out the hose this morning but forgot." Don't worry honey...we figured it all out...it took us a little while but we managed :)!! There is still a mess in the basement but I have a feeling that's just how it's going to be until the ground thaws and the snow is gone. It's alright because the basement isn't finished anyway...it's the typical "old farm house basement".
We hope all is well with everyone...God's Blessings to you all! Our prayers are with Shirley and family...and Autumn we hope you are feeling better and getting healthier each day! More to come!
2 comments:
Boy, do I wish I could have been there with a video camera when you were trying to get the hose out of the window before you unplug it! :) Life sure has it's interesting moments, doesn't it?
Mary
That is too darn funny! Don't you just love those "smack your forehead" moments.
Post a Comment