Monday, May 21, 2007

Creepy Crawly


On Saturday Jeff was out late into the night planting another 4 hills of watermelon. It was well after dark by the time he came in the house, got changed and sat down in the living room to relax and watch some TV. By the time he got all settled down I decided I was going to bed. Most mornings I straighten out the sheets, blanket and comforter on the bed (I don't technically make the bed every morning...just straighten in out). So before I go to bed I check to make sure the covers are at the end of the bed and tucked in (on my side only). I was on Jeff's side of the bed and had just lifted up the corner of the comforter and saw it...EWWWW!!! There was this huge beetle looking bug on Jeff's side of the bed. I FREAKED out!! I went spazing out into the living room telling Jeff he has to kill it. I think I was yelling "It's so GROSS!! KILL IT!! GO KILL IT!!"


So Jeff gets the fly swatter. He walks into the bedroom and asks me (because I'm so calm at this point..Ok so not really) were this "bug" is. I tell him and he flips up the corner of the comforter. By this time the "bug" had started to make its way closer to Jeff's pillow. I had no interest what so ever to look at it again so I made a beeline out into the kitchen waiting for Jeff to kill this monster. He comes walking out of the bedroom right by me with this creepy crawly thing on the fly swatter. He takes it out the front door and puts it on the cement. Let's just say at that point that "thing" was no longer going to make it's way back into our house!


So after the "bug incident" Jeff and I went into the bedroom and pretty much stripped the bed down inspecting it for "bugs". I thought for awhile I might have to sleep on the couch..but I got over it after looking the bed over a good 100 times. Jeff later told me that when he heard me freaking out saying there was a bug in the bed that it was going to be some tiny little spider or something. Boy was he surprised! He even thought this "thing" was GROSS!! It wasn't a June bug either..it was bigger! It was a beetle of some sort...just not sure what! I think I would rather not know...and I think I would rather not EVER see another one of those again!! We think Jeff brought it in with him from outside when he was planting watermelon. I hope that's how it got in. If I find more I'm going to start to wonder. Oh the JOYS OF COUNTRY LIVING (glad this doesn't happen EVERY DAY!!) :)


Besides the "bug incident" we had a pretty uneventful weekend. We went to the races in Hartford. That was fun..and we got in for free which was even better. I need to learn to bundle up more thought. Just because it's hot when you leave home and you don't think you'll need long sleeves..TRUST ME...you will! On Saturday we pretty much hung out at home. Jeff went to work in the morning and then had to go to the Hutterite Colony to have one of the guys help him make side shields for this puller tractor. They got them done and tonight he's going to polish them. Sunday we did the family thing in Inwood.


This weekend is going to be busy. My parents are coming up and we are heading out to two of my cousin's graduations. That will be fun because we haven't seen a lot of these relatives since our wedding in 2005. Adam, Morgan, and Cade are not able to go but Mom and Dad will go see them on Friday and Saturday. Then they will swing though our place, pick us up and off we go. It's a short trip..we'll be back the next day but hey it's a little vacation and we get to see Mom and Dad..which is always a plus!


I guess that's about it. I planted the tomato's and green peppers out in the garden today. We need some rain..I hear it's suppose to rain some tomorrow. I am going to go out and water everything now. That takes me quite a bit of time but hey it's good exercise! Jeff usually waters the potatoes. You should see the sweet corn...it's coming up GREAT!! Jeff did an awesome job!


God's Blessings to everyone. Don't forget to check your bed for creepy crawlies! JUST KIDDING (but you know what...I'm going to be doing just that for a long time now...just to make sure..HE HE!!) More to come!

9 comments:

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

The only bug that really creeps me out is ticks. I hate picking them off the dog and the kids when I have to. I just got my tomatoes and peppers planted today. I agree, we could use a little rain on them--the key words being "a little". The last few rains we have had have been doozies!

A mom said...

Thanks Erin! Now I feel like I have bugs crawling all over me.

I had something similar happen just after Colter was born. For some reason, I woke up real quick and looked at my chest. There was a great big spider sitting on it. I freaked and swiped him off. He ran really fast all over the bed until I finally smashed him. After I calmed down a bit, I started to wonder, why exactly I woke up in the first place. Did he just come off of my face? Gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.

Hope you slept okay that night!!

Jamie said...

I HATE when you find a bug in your bed. You sometimes wonder if they get there when you are sleeping...YUCKY!!

How many watermelons do you get when you plan? If you have an overabundance of them just let me know! LOVE WATERMELONS!!

Tracy said...

Now I feel like bugs are crawling all over me...icky!! I am sure bedtime will never be the same! Thanks Erin! Totally kidding of course!

the boedecker family said...

Oh man do bug's freak me out...especially spider's and ticks!! I will probably check from now on!!

Just Mom said...

*shudder*

I'll be inspecting my bed tonight too. Ick!

Lori said...

Now that creeps me out. Hehehe!
I don't like to find any spiders or anything...but a big beetle would really creep me out.

Did you get my email. It came back undeliverable.
If not here is my new email address:'http://www.lorisblogspace.blogspot.com

Email me please and then I will reply to your message in case it won't let me.

Just Mom said...

Erin -- I wasn't sure if you were aware of this. I've changed my blog address:

http://anothermomonthego.
blogspot.com

Jamey said...

I would have had to sleep on the couch. You are very brave for sleeping in that bed. I am not typically afraid of bugs, but the thought of them in my bed and crawling on me while I am sleeping is too much for me!!