I think half of our shingles are scattered around the county. Boy that wind was unbelievable on Saturday/Sunday!! I thought for sure the house was going to blow over or the windows were going to blow in.I got home from Val's rummage at around 4:20 or so on Saturday afternoon. I drove in some pretty gusty winds but nothing too severe. Oh by the way, I made $24.00 at the rummage (so it paid for my gas to get me to and from). Ok back to my weather story....I laid down to take a nap (I needed one after getting up at 5:30 a.m.) and when I woke up I turned to the news and they were carrying on and on about tornado's and thunderstorms. So I looked outside and it didn't look too nasty at our house. I guess everything was west of us and moving straight north. Well I kind of started to worry because I knew Jeff was going to be driving in this stuff. Thankfully he called me at 7:00 p.m. and said he was on his way. He got home at about 8:30 and the wind was starting to pick up. We ate a late supper and watched TV and around 10:30 or so it started to rain really really HARD!! With the combo of wind and rain it sounded like someone was sitting outside our picture window throwing buckets of water at it...it was that loud and forceful.
We went to bed at 11 p.m. and Jeff was kind of concerned because a piece of tin on the barn was flapping in the breeze and hitting our main power line in the yard. There wasn't sparks or anything flying off of this power line (thankfully) but it still made Jeff nervous because this could knock the power out for the whole yard. Well at 1:45 a.m. the power went out...due to a massive thunderstorm that was going through. This was the you see lightening and then hear thunder right away kind of storm. I woke up with the power went out and reset my alarm clock and went back to sleep. Jeff got up to check the tin on the barn and it looked ok...so he came back to bed too. At around 4 a.m. the wind was GUSTING (by my guess it had to be gusting to at least 60 to 70 mph..but that's just a guess people). That woke us both up and I was worried about the dog (never mind the house or barn...I was worried about Jake). So Jeff got up to make sure Jake was still in his kennel (he got out one time and just slept on the porch until Jeff realized he was out). The dog was fine and Jeff also checked on the tin on the barn. Now it was blowing away from the power line so Jeff was hoping it would just fall off the barn. The wind was howling and I seriously thought the house might blow over (but those old farm houses are strong let me tell ya). The garage was even still standing...thankfully.
The next morning Jeff went out to assess the damage. Thankfully nothing too serious to report except for the shingles on the house and the garage were all over the yard. The raspberries I so lovingly cared for were also still standing but they hardly have any leaves left on them (poor things). Jeff managed to fix the tin on the barn (and I'm happy to say he didn't electrocute himself...if I would have had it my way we would have called the power company to come take care of it). We went to Inwood as planned yesterday. There is a creek over by Chester that was almost over Hwy. 19...it was nuts to see all the standing water. Apparently according to the news we got 6 inches. Our rain gage said 2 but with that wind I'm sure most if didn't make it into the rain gage.
We thought we were going to get it again yesterday but Thank God we didn't get anything like we had the night before. I'm so very grateful and thankful we didn't get the tornadoes like some towns got. Our prayers go out to those who lost buildings, houses, and had major storm damage. I know a lot of people in town have water in their basements...I'm sure there is water in ours and at times like this I'm very thankful that our basement is NOT finished.
So that's our storm filled weekend...we managed to survive it though. We hope everyone else faired just as well. A few shingles around the yard is nothing compared to what those poor people in Kansas went though. I can't even imagine! God's Blessings to everyone and we hope you all have a great Monday!
7 comments:
Man did it ever rain!! It was crazy!
I am glad to hear that you guys didn't get any major damage! At least shingles are an easy fix!!
Have a great Monday!
...by the way....that pictures is funny!!
I'm glad you guys didn't have too much damage. sounds like you had a sleepless night though.
Thankfully we don't have any water in our basement. I've talked to some friends that do though.
I think that wind blowing picture is cute too!
You have a wonderful week!
Glad to hear the damgae wasn't too major! We lost a few shingle's too and I hear ya on the rain beating on the window!! Our neighbor's shed blew over and almost hit our home...talk about scarry!
What a crazy weekend. Glad to see the sun shining right now!!!
I am glad you survived. That wind was nuts. We were one of the lucky ones that got water in the basement. That was fun. I think I may have one of your shingles in my yard. Would you like me to mail it to you? I can send it certified.
It was some storm. I was an idiot, though. Despite some loud thunder and heavy rain and wind at 2 a.m., I stayed sleeping in my bed -- upstairs. My hubby and son were in the basement because Alex was too scared to stay in his room. I guess I was too tired. I better get a weather radio.
Post a Comment