Thursday, March 29, 2007

I Hear Thunder!

You can tell it's spring out there...the grass is greening up, it's raining and I just heard some THUNDER! I really enjoy spring for that very reason...I LOVE a good thunderstorm. Now I'm not talking the type of thunderstorm where there is hail and high winds. I like the type we are having right now...maybe a slight breeze, some rain and some gentle thunder and bright lightening. Now that's my idea of a good thunderstorm!

When I was younger (probably 3 to 5 grade or so) I was super scared of storms. If there was even the mention of a tornado watch, I would take boxes from the basement, pack all my prized possessions up (mainly my dolls) and put all the boxes in the basement just in case a tornado should come through our neighborhood. Needless to say I wasted A LOT of time and energy packing and then unpacking everything. I was kind of a strange ranger when I was younger. I remember another time when I was home by myself (well Libby, mom and dad's dog was also there too) and the sky grew really really dark. I freaked out and headed to the basement bawling all the way and sitting there hysterical. The wind came up and it started raining. There were tornado warnings going on for us and all the counties around us. It was NOT FUN! My parents and brother drove up just as it got nastier...but again it didn't amount to anything. Thank God!

My first tractor pull ever was in Parker, SD shortly after Jeff and I started dating. The weather was great when we left Madison but as the day went on it got darker and darker. Finally the rain started and they ended up calling off the rest of the tractor pull. As we got all loaded up and were leaving the parking lot they kept saying there was a tornado warning for Parker! So Jeff had me watching the sky for any twisters. It was darn right nasty out there....we saw tons of spotters out looking for any sign of a twister. At one point we saw what looked like a funnel going up and down out of the clouds. I hope I NEVER see anything like that again. I looked up in the sky and right above the truck was another funnel but this one looked like it was sucked back up into the clouds...the opposite way a funnel should be. It freaked us both out and Jeff started to drive a little faster! We made it home that day but let me just say the truck was sucking fumes when we pulled in the driveway!

Now when there is a tornado warning, Jeff and I hang out in the living room looking out the window. It doesn't even faze us that yes indeed there is a tornado warning and maybe we should head down to the basement. Nope we stand at the window like a bunch of goof balls hoping to see the tornado. Last summer or I should say September this happened. They had spotted a tornado west of Chester..ok so that was getting kinda close. It started to hail...pea to marble sized hail...the wind came up. At one point I thought our garage was going to blow over, shingles were flying off the roof of the garage and poor Jeff was stuck out there waiting for the down pour to stop. That same day we had 3 storms right in a row. Just when you think it was all done, here comes another one and another one. That day was truly crazy. We were suppose to go to Dell Rapids that afternoon for an Outlaw Tractor Pull...needless to say we thought it was going to get cancelled due to the nasty weather....NOPE...Jeff called his mom who happened to be sitting in the bleachers at the tractor pull. To think the weather could be so different just 30 miles away.

I'm not sure what this summer will bring but if there are tornado warnings you can bet Jeff and I will be either outside watching the sky or in the living room watching the sky. But if I see one of those funnel like shapes come out of the clouds...I'm outta there and to the basement I go!

Not much else is going on at our house. Jeff's been working on mowers the past few nights trying to get them ready to mow the grass when it finally needs it. I didn't do too much last night...read a little of my book and watched TV. Tonight I hope to work on the scrapbook a little more. I might even do that this afternoon if I can get off the computer :)! God's Blessings to everyone...more to come later!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

I hear ya. I love the same kind of rains and thunder! There is nothing like the smell of rain!

A mom said...

I LOVE thunderstorms! Unless I am working. Whenever the wistle goes off, Al is always yelling at me to get to the basement as I am lolly-gagging around grabbing pictures, etc. As soon as he finally gets me to the basement and quits freaking out, he will keep running up and down the stairs to look out the window. Then he usually yells down to me that I need to come and see this.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense in my mind, but it must in his!

Tracy said...

Oh-the days of NO children. When you can snuggle up, read a book and watch TV...without any distractions!!

Just Mom said...

I am TERRIFIED of severe storms. How did you ever overcome your fears?

We were on our way back home from Sioux Falls when that tornado touched down in Septemener. That was the most frightening thing I have ever seen -- and we were miles away. I do wish I had my camera with me for that one, though. Dang!