Friday, May 04, 2007

My First Job


I don't know why I was thinking about my first job yesterday but I was so I thought I would bore everyone with the details :)! Ok so it wasn't that boring..it was actually a great job, one that taught me much responsibility and it also taught me how to cook and bake!

In June of 1995 I got my first ever "real" job (I baby-sat a lot too but that wasn't consistent). My parents both worked at the Dells Area Health Center (know it's called Avera Dells Health Center or something like that). My mom came home one day saying that they were looking for help in the kitchen so I decided to apply. I was so scared my first day...actually I was intimidated! My boss was one of those very BOLD, OUTSPOKEN women and trust me she would let you know if you messed up. Anyway, my official job title at that time was "Tray Person". I know...sounds very professional doesn't it..he he!

Being "Tray Person" was rather easy at this small hospital. It wasn't unheard of to only have 3 to 5 patients on any given day but boy when there was 15 or more..WATCH OUT! My main duties were setting up trays for the patients, cutting and dishing up the jello (very complex let me tell ya), cutting and dishing desserts and salads, pouring the liquids for the clear liquid diets, and pouring milk, juice, and coffee. I also had the nasty task of doing the dishes after they came back from the patients. I truly saw some disgusting things on these trays but I'll spare you the details!

After graduation in 1996 I decided to take a year off before I went to college. I took a full time position as a Cook and Tray Person. Yes I was now responsible for making that lovely, tasty hospital food. My boss had menu's made and of course we had to follow those very carefully. During this day shift (6:00 to 2:30) we also fed the staff of the hospital lunch. I also worked some night shifts (4:30 to 6:30) like I did in the beginning when I got my job but this time as cook also. We made some really delicious food (and I'm not being sarcastic here)...but we also made some pretty questionable food. I remember we use to have to make these fruit plates. Ok seriously what sick person wants to eat fruit and cottage cheese. I know personally when I'm sick, nothing tastes better then soup. And sometimes there would be kids in the hospital...do you think they ate the fruit plates? NO WAY! Usually the nurses would call back and say "So and So doesn't like what you served tonight. Can you make him/her some soup and toast instead?" So some nights some people got 2 meals because the first one was something no sick person would want to eat.

After I worked there for awhile my boss hired Mindy. Mindy and I had WAY TOO MUCH FUN at work. In the mornings sometimes we would have to make Cream of Wheat for people. Have you ever seen this stuff in the pan after it's completely cooled? It would come out in one full mass. We would just stare at it in awe..can you imagine what that looks like in someones stomach? I also had to make pancakes and usually the leftover ones became Frisbee's. We would toss those things around...it was great fun. Of course this was usually on the weekends when the boss lady wasn't around. Some nights when we would work together we would harass the maintenance guy (he was our age). We took turns doing things to each others vehicles (Vaseline under the door handles, piles of snow by our drivers side doors, liquid soap all over the windows, toilet paper all over the vehicles, etc.). One night we got caught and he chased us all over town. We had TOO MUCH FUN! And we were so very stylish in our hair nets, blue polo tops and white pants. What a lovely look!! Sorry no pictures to share here (come to think of it I do have one of Mindy but I'm not sure where that is and if I post it she probably would never talk to me ever again :)!!)

I also worked with a great group of "older" women. These ladies were like Grandmothers to me. I really enjoyed working with them and listening to all their stories. I really treasure the time I worked with them and will never forget them.

I worked at this job for 3 years when I decided that I needed to spread my wings and work at (of all places) JcPenney's. We'll save those stories for some other time :)!! My job at the hospital really sparked my interest in cooking and baking. I loved that part of the job...and I got to be quite good at it if I do say so myself. After I left the hospital I didn't cook for a long time but a few years ago I decided to brush up on my skills (since I was out on my own). So I guess you could say that my first job taught me A LOT when it came to cooking (of course I'm sure there is a ton more to know but hey I have the basics down..ha!)

On another note..not much going on at our house. With the rainy weather Jeff is unable to plant the sweetcorn so he's hoping for some dry weather next week. I am off to Rushmore, MN tomorrow (at the butt-crack of dawn..6:15 a.m.) to hang out with Val at her house for a Garage Sale. I'm excited to spend some time with her. Jeff is going to finish up the puller tractor tomorrow (pictures to come). We hope everyone has a great weekend. God's Blessings to everyone!

7 comments:

Jamey said...

Your butt crack of dawn made me chuckle, thanks! It sounds like you had a good first job, mine was at Arby's, yuck!! I've come a long way! Have a great weekend in MN!

Jamie said...

Thanks for sharing...my 1st job was at McDonald's. I was their for 4 years...9th -12th grade! I always say that I would have to be living in my car to ever work at a fast food joint again. But hey...it was for the $$!!

Have a great weekend and have fun at the garge sale!

Tracy said...

I worked at the hospital as a dietary aide in high school. Oh how I wish we only had 3-5 patients sometimes. It was fun but certainly not my cup of tea. Those weekends where we had to get up at like 6am...NO THANK YOU!

Beach Girl said...

My first job was in a clothing store. Sell..... sell..... sell.....make the company more money. I hated that aspect of it.

Had some good laughs though. I was amazed at what I saw women trying on. It was one of those places that had dressing stalls w/ curtains, but you had to come out to look in the mirrors (which were the back wall). And oh, my, what we think we look good in!

That was back in the 70's and I decided that Spandex really should have been illegal! LOL

Thank you for coming to Yahweh's Retreat! Please come back and say hi again.

Vanessa

Lori said...

My first job also was babysitting for many of the neighborhood families.
After I was in highschool my first job was working at a Burger King.

It sounds like you made your first jobs fun!!!

I hope you have a good weekend and have good luck at your garage sale.

Anonymous said...

I worked in the kitchen of a retirement village. This post just made me laugh out loud!

A mom said...

Hey! Tray Girl! I am one of those people who really do like fruit and cottage cheese, but you all ready know I am not normal. :o)

My first job was waitressing at a cafe. I learned to be a great tipper, unless the waiter/waitress is rude and undeserving. If they were good, they always get at least 5.oo, even if my meal was less than that.